Sunday 16 May 2021

Here's Why F.R.I.E.N.D.S is better than HIMYM!



Both shows, of which one started a decade after its predecessor’s beginning, resulted in a fan fight between the two shows’ fans. While both the shows told similar stories albeit with some slight differences, it was easy for fans to fight for their favorite show. However, which is the best show amongst them and why is it F.R.I.E.N.D.S?

Started in 1994, F.R.I.E.N.D.S told the story of six friends who lived in New York City, juggling life, love, and work. A sitcom at its best and with 10 seasons, the show never fails to amaze its audience, even 27 years after its inception. Boasting of a stellar cast comprising of Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, David Schwimmer, Matthew Perry, and Matt Le Blanc, the show has been around for more than 25 years now and strongly believes that it will still be there for 50 more years.

With its inception in 2005, How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM) tells the story of Ted Mosby telling his children about how they met their mother, the titular character. It spans nine seasons, where till the ninth season, Ted only talks about all the adventures he had with his four best friends, up until meeting the love of his life. This show too had a pretty good cast including Neil Patrick Harris, Cobie Smulders, Jason Segal, Alyson Hannigan, and Josh Radnor as Ted Mosby. While both the shows seem to have a different plot, it's almost the same thing. A group of friends understanding life and love through their late 20’s and 30’s.

There are several reasons one might cite when they say that they like F.R.I.E.N.D.S more than How I Met Your Mother. Some of them being, the latter is based out of the former, F.R.I.E.N.D.S has a better cast, etc. Being a hardcore F.R.I.E.N.D.S lover, I have my reasons too. But let me tell you F.R.I.E.N.D.S is better than HIMYM with some help from facts and figures.

While F.R.I.E.N.D.S lasted for 10 seasons, HIMYM only ran for nine. The former boasts of one of the highest viewership for a serious finale with 52.5 million viewers, with HIMYM having only 10.5 million people that viewed its finale. Although the difference is not much, F.R.I.E.N.D.S also has a higher IMDB rating of 8.9, when compared to HIMYM’s 8.5. Another point to be noted is that while all the cast members of F.R.I.E.N.D.S got paid an equal amount of $1 million per episode, Neil Patrick Harris was the highest-paid cast member of HIMYM.

Some other reasons I truly believe was the reason for F.R.I.E.N.D.S’ success over HIMYM is that the on/off romance between Ross and Rachel in the former was definitely supreme than the Ted and Robin romance in the latter. While both shows had a womanizer, F.R.I.E.N.D.S pulled it off better with the lovable Joey than HIMYM’s lovable yet disgusting Barney Stinson. Although I can go on and on about why F.R.I.E.N.D.S will be always better than How I Met Your Mother, I think this is enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment