Sunday 30 August 2020

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs through my Hierarchy of Needs

 Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is a theory that was propagated by Abraham Maslow in his 1943 paper, "A Theory of Human Motivation" in Psychological Review. This is a theory in the subject of psychology. What is Maslow's Hierarchy Of Needs, you ask? Through this theory, Abraham Maslow has talked about a 'motivational' five-tier pyramid which has physiological needs at the bottom and self-actualization at the top-most tier. It tells us about the five levels of needs that a human being has right from the simple needs to the most complex ones. 

Marketing Theories Explained - Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

I am going to explain this pyramid to you, of course, with the help of examples. On the bottom tier, is physiological needs. These are very basic needs that are common to all human beings, like food, water, and other basic necessities. Here, I will provide you with a very simple example of Kurlon mattress. I associate the mattress with one of my physiological needs i.e, sleep. When I need to rest after a taxing day, the mattress comes to my rescue.

The second tier is nothing other than the safety needs. This can differ from person to person. While others may find their home to be safe, having life insurance as safe, or traveling by Uber safe, what I find safe might be a bit weird to you all. I have a water bottle made of steel(!) that quenches my need for safety. I carry it around with me wherever I go and this, in turn, makes me feel safe.

As you can see, the tier that is third in position is having the need to feel loved or having a sense of belongingness. This tier is simply food for me, or rather, Bingo chips in particular. Eating these chips once in a while brings me happiness and makes me feel at home, no matter where I am. For me, my family and friends are love. And, Bingo chips seems to tick all the right boxes of love and belongingness. 

Esteem needs. That is what the fourth tier is all about. The need to be respected, the need to be recognized, and the need to have a higher status in society. Desired by everyone, all are constantly on the run for fulfilling their esteem needs. A part of my need for esteem has been filled by my car, the magnificent Skoda Rapid. A car of pride and valor, I feel great when I drive the car. It brings me a sense of high self-esteem and value.

Moving on to the last tier, it is self-actualization. The most complex needs of them all, self-actualization can never be actually achieved by a person. It takes a lot of time and effort. In my opinion, a brand that has achieved self-actualization is The Body Shop. No matter how many brands come and go, this will be the one for me. It has proved its worth and I can never think of using another brand for my self-care.

This is how I have conceptualized Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs in accordance with the brands or products that I have used at each level. It need not be the same for another person. The product that I use to fulfill my safety needs may be a physiological need for another. It will differ from person to person. Don't worry, Psychology and the case in point, the Hierarchy of Needs, does take a long time to understand. 

Sources Cited

https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html#:~:text=Maslow's%20hierarchy%20of%20needs%20is,hierarchical%20levels%20within%20a%20pyramid.&text=From%20the%20bottom%20of%20the,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs



No comments:

Post a Comment