Friday 8 October 2021

Letter from a Chatterbox


It was two days ago that Whatsapp, Facebook, and Instagram crashed and majority of the world spiralled into what is known as a social media blackout. Not using my phone for quite some time got me thinking, "what would life be like without social media?" I cannot even think of a life without social media. The constant catching up with friends, stalking celebrities, and sending memes. Whatever would I do in a social media blackout? When my cousin put up a status saying that the social media blackout made him realise how cool his wife was, it made me laugh. Then, it got me thinking. Has it really come to a situation where we need a legit social media blackout to force us to 'sit and talk' to each other?

That being said, my most preferred form of communication will always be talking to people when they're just an arm's distance away from me. I don't like texting people, I sure do like calling people. However, there's nothing quite like looking into the eyes of a person and talking to them about everything under the sun. I am old-school that way. I do not want to 'Whatsapp' you, neither do I want to 'DM' you. If there's something I need to tell you, I will rather do it over call or just come over to your home and talk to you. 

There's no such preferred platform as such I would choose for my preferred form of communication. As it's just talking to the people around you, you simply need to do one thing, go up to them, open your mouth, and talk. Although it now seems hard for a lot of people especially after the pandemic and all, nothing speaks comfort to me like talking to a person about anything and everything. Even though the world is changing and people prefer 'digital' than 'traditional', I will always be that one old soul who can keep all her digital 'helpers' away and talk away the night with her close ones. 

To connect with different people, both old and new, I just talk. If it's a new person who's some into my life, I strike up a conversation with them to know what they and I have in common. If it's someone who has been in my life for sometime now, then they already know by now that I talk, a lot. So social media blackout or not, it may feel a little weird without my memes, video calls, and messages, but I will always love to talk! 

No comments:

Post a Comment