Saturday 5 September 2020

Let's Surf and Shop!

 While we talked about the types of non-buying customers in my previous article, in this article, we will be talking about the different types of digital shoppers. Especially in times like these, consumers are slowly and swiftly moving towards online shopping. To not have to scour stores for the thing that your heart desires, to not have to stand in line to get it billed, aah, such bliss! And all this can be easily done in the comfort of your home. Just like our parents say, "I had to travel great lengths to buy something", we can do it twice as fast and easy. Who is the reigning champion in online shopping, you ask? Well, it is none other than Amazon! Amazon is an online shopping site that has everything from phones to laptops, clothes to shoes, household items and so much more! I'm sure that we'll find at least a few different types of digital shoppers on Amazon.

'The Wish Lister' is the first type of online shopper. She/he is an individual who adds the items that she wants to her/his cart. They may not buy it immediately but will keep going back and forth on what to buy when they want to buy.

The second type of online shopper is 'The Rational Visitor'. These are the people who need to think twice before making a purchase. They will have done a complete background check on the product that they are going to buy. Unless and until they find a logical reason, the product will not be purchased.

'The Satisfier' is the third type of online shopper. They just purchase for their needs to be fulfilled. They are not interested in 'surf and shop' to find the product that they desire. They will buy the first product that they see which fulfills their need. They are happy with the choice they make.

The fourth type of online shopper is 'The Brand-Oriented' shopper. This set of people move with the trends. They follow the latest styles and trends and make their purchases accordingly. If a new trend comes up, they have to have something of that trend.

'The Maximiser' is the second last or the fifth type. Like I said before, they are the people who 'surf and shop'. They will only take a decision after they go through a lot of options. Even upon deciding, they will still be confused if they took the right decision. They again go through the whole process and only finally decide when they find the 'perfect fit'.

The last type of online shopper is 'The Hesitator'. This person is worried if she has made the right choice. She continuously evaluates her purchase even at the check-out stage. She is constantly tensed about the purchase she is making and if she has made the right choice or not.

If I had to sort myself into one of these types, I would be a mix of the maximiser and the satisfied. When it is something that I really need, I'll find the best option and go ahead with purchasing and not even think about the broad horizon that waits for me. When it is something I want and I desire, I take my own sweet time and become the maximiser. I evaluate all the products and find the best one. I only proceed to the check-out stage when I have found 'the one'. So, this is the kind of online shopper that lives in me. What is the type of digital shopper that lives in you?


No comments:

Post a Comment